Paul Nylander, EGL
Our lab is dedicated to the dissemination and promotion of mathematics, in particular, geometric structures and dynamics in low dimensions. We provide motivated students with opportunities for mathematical exploration in a stimulating environment. Our outreach activities highlight the fascination and beauty of mathematics.
The Experimental Geometry Lab promotes research and education by developing software tools (primarily in Mathematica) that allow individuals to explore and illustrate concepts in hyperbolic geometry. These tools enable researchers, instructors, and students to quickly create interactive demonstrations and explorations. Every year, EGL team members develop new interactive projects on a variety of topics.
We gratefully acknowledge support from:
- The Topology Program of The National Science Foundation.
- The University of Maryland Mathematics Department.
- The Math Department's Vertical Integration Grant for Research and Education from the National Science Foundation.
- The Maryland Center for Undergraduate Research (Many of our members participated in the Undergraduate Research Assistant Program, and have given presentations in the University's Undergraduate Research Day).
- Mrs. Jeanette Greenberg for her generous donation of many books from the private library of the late Professor Leon Greenberg.